Thursday, September 17, 2009

SEC Previews and Predictions for Week 3

Well, I'm off to a wedding this weekend,I hit the road tonight so I'm gonna go ahead and do this a day early. I will try to post the reviews on Sunday but if not it will be early in the week.

Louisville @ Kentucky- I will be honest with this one. I haven't seen Kentucky play at all this year and only read about the drubbing the gave to Miami of Ohio so I really can't form an honest opinion of the team. Randall Cobb is a major threat with his feet and can be with his arm with quick passes. He is quite the athlete, as most know he made the switch from wide receiver to quarterback towards the end of the season last year. Kentucky is pretty banged up heading into this one and Coach Brooks noted that senior fullback John Connor, who missed the Miami game because of an ankle sprain, appears ready to play Saturday. Junior wide receiver Kyrus Lanxter did not participate on Tuesday and is doubtful for the game. Redshirt freshman Cartier Rice remains questionable as he recovers from a strained hip.Brooks also announced that freshman linebacker Ridge Wilson has been suspended for at least one week, including Saturday's game, because of a violation of team rules. However, I do like the Wildcats in this one because Louisville is simply not that good from what I have seen. Indiana State? Please, Wildcats win and then get prepared for UF and Bama to make trips to Commonwealth Stadium.

North Texas @ Alabama- Another easy game for the Bammers. Look for much of the same from last week. Ingram and Upchurch got a little beat up last week so look for freshman running back Trent Richardson to carry the rock some more like he did last week. Julio Jones may not play in this one(knee problem) but Bama is too strong and they will roll once again. Crimson Tide win big.

Tennessee @ Florida- As much as I would like to see a plane crash into the stadium Saturday(kidding) it dreads me to pick this game. Florida is going to be gassed up for this one and the only legit shot the Vols have is if Bryce Brown pulls a Knowshon and gashes the D for 174 yards and 3tds(ha) but more importantly Crompton has to have the best game of his career and not turn the ball over 3 times. Florida has to have an off day for any upset chance. Too many things have to happen for the Vols so I'm taking Florida and big. I'm curious to see what the post game handshake is like between the two head coaches, won't surprise me if it doesn't even happen.

Louisiana-Lafayette @ LSU- The Tigers to me has been shaky so far this year, I really don't know what to expect or think of them yet. The barely escaped Washington and scraped by Vandy last week. This is a game where the Tigers can get out to a quick start and gain some much needed confidence. The Ragin Canjuns at times look to pull upsets as they did last week against Kansas St but LSU is to talented. They win easily.

Florida Atlantic @ South Carolina- After last weeks heartbreaking loss at Georgia, look for the Gamecocks to spread the ball some more as Garcia should have confidence after passing 54 times and completing over 30 of them. The Owls have had two weeks off since the beating they took against Nebraska. Rest won't help in this one. Gamecocks pick up a fairly easy victory.

Miss St @ Vandy- The Bulldogs were the first team to beat Vanderbilt last season after a 5-0 start, and things were never quite the same for Bobby Johnson’s club. The Commodores again look to be strong on defense, although they lost senior safety Ryan Hamilton last week to a season-ending injury. The Bulldogs are trying to prove they’re not as bad as they looked on defense in last week’s 49-24 loss to Auburn. Vanderbilt gets it done at home I think but this one will be close.

Southeastern Louisiana @ Ole Miss- It’s a good thing the Rebels haven’t had to play anybody to this point. The team was ravaged by the flu last week, and several players were affected in the opener against Memphis. Either way, Ole Miss gets another glorified scrimmage this week and would like to look a little sharper for all four quarters before hitting the road next Thursday for its first real test against South Carolina.

UGA @ Arkansas- This is a game the Hogs have been pointing to since the summer and a game that will shape their season one way or the other. My heart tells me the UGA defense will make things hard for the Razorbacks but I'm afraid if we can't get pressure from the Defensive ends the Hogs offense will put some points. A big play or two on special teams might determine this one. As I mentioned before Arkansas will pull out all the stops in this one but I'm not sold on teams opening up a game with emotion cause if you get down 7-0 all that goes out the window. I'll take the Dawgs in this one, I think there special teams will be the difference with Boykin ,Smith and Miller returning kicks and what no one seems to be talking about in Dawg Nation is the resurgence of Blair Walsh. He missed 6 of his last 11 FG attempts at the end of the season last year and he has already made all three FG attempts. They have come from 40-plus yards, with two from 50-plus, including a career-long 53. Dawgs win a close battle again.

West Virginia @ Auburn-You can feel the excitement on the Plains right now, but Auburn coach Gene Chizik is doing his best to keep everything in perspective. That said, a win over the Mountaineers probably means the Tigers go into the month of October unbeaten. Their running game has been what’s separated them in the first two games and will again be the difference Saturday at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Ben Tate, Onterio McCalebb and Co. roll it up for another 300-yard night on the ground. Tigers win a close battle.
Final thoughts-Should be another good week of games, I went 5 and 1 last week so will see how I fair. I'm trying to figure out how I can watch these games while I'm at a wedding reception so if anybody has any good ideas let me know because watching it on a phone doesn't really get me excited. Anyways, have a great weekend and Go Dawgs!



1 comment:

  1. I am not kidding, I wouldn't be upset if a plane crashed into Neyland Stadium... Not only would it destroy 2 of the 3 teams I hate the most. But it would also rid this earth of 90% of that ugly ass orange... UGA 28 - Ar-kansas 17

    ReplyDelete